Car Accident Attorneys in New Haven, CT
Car Accident Attorneys Holding Negligent Drivers Accountable
Car accidents happen all the time in the United States, and Connecticut is no exception. In fact, in 2015 the death toll in motor vehicle accidents increased by 14% from the previous year in the state, and there were 283 car accident-related deaths in 2015 alone. The unfortunate reality of being on the road is that even if you try your best to practice safe driving, that won’t prevent another driver from behaving recklessly and possibly causing an accident. If you or a family member has been injured, you deserve justice. No one should have their lives endangered by a driver’s careless mistake they could’ve easily avoided had they been more careful.
Why Hire a New Haven Car Accident Lawyer?
By enlisting the expertise of New Haven car accident lawyer, you will have a skilled team to help you by compiling important and helpful documents such as photos of the scene of the accident and witness statements. Not only can your attorney help you understand your rights, they can also help you understand your potential for financial compensation. Working with an experienced attorney in New Haven has many benefits and can allow you to focus on recovery while we focus on getting you the compensation you deserve.
At Action Law Group, our New Haven car accident attorneys are committed to providing clients with compassionate service while advocating fiercely for their rights to compensation. We are relentless in our pursuit of your goals and can help you determine liability, file your claim, and achieve an outcome that helps you return to your life.
What Are Common Causes of Car Accidents in Connecticut?
Studies have shown that a majority of Connecticut car accidents are caused by reckless driving, which can be defined as driving that disregards the safety as others and often violates traffic laws.
Speeding Causes Accidents
One common form of reckless driving is speeding, which accounts for many accidents and serious injuries. When drivers speed, they’re more likely to be unable to slow down or stop for traffic or road hazards in time. Speeding can also cause drivers to lose control of their vehicle, especially when making sharp turns, and can result in them skidding over lanes and colliding with other vehicles.
Tailgating Leads to Car Accidents
Another form of reckless driving is tailgating, or when cars are following other vehicles too closely on the road. Tailgating is responsible for 30% of all accidents in Connecticut and almost always causes property damage and injuries as minor as whiplash and as serious as brain injuries.
Other common causes of car accidents include:
- Impaired driving, which reduces a driver’s reaction time and causes them to make risky decisions, like running red lights or making abrupt lane changes without signaling.
- Distracted driving, which occurs when drivers are focused on anything else besides the road – drivers are commonly texting or talking on their phone, which can prevent them from responding to road hazards.
- Fatigued driving, which can cause accidents when drivers drift off, fall asleep at the wheel, or miss important traffic signals like red lights and stop signs.
What Common Injuries & Damages Often Happen in Car Accident Cases?
Auto accidents occur every day and many of them result in serious bodily injury.
The following are some of the injuries that commonly occur in automobile accidents:
- Neck and back sprains
- Injuries to shoulders and knees
- Head injury
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Internal injuries
- Neck injuries and whiplash
- Foot and ankle injuries
- Wrongful death
- Wrist and hand injuries
- Soft tissue injuries
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
What to Do After a Car Accident?
When you are involved in a car accident, it is normal to feel overwhelmed and experience panic about what to do immediately after a collision. There are several important steps to take to ensure the safety of you and your loved ones after being involved in a car crash in Connecticut.
The following are 5 steps to take after a car accident in Connecticut:
- Get to Safety: If possible, direct your vehicle to a safe place that is away from oncoming traffic or other drivers. Do not leave the scene of the accident without pulling over.
- Call the Authorities: Contact the police and an ambulance as soon as possible to address any injuries and start an accident report. Do not ever refuse medical treatment if you are advised to do so.
- Document the Accident and the Damage: Take pictures of any damage to property or vehicles, and ensure that you receive the other drivers' contact information, license plate number, and insurance carrier.
- Gather Statements from Witnesses: It is important to collect the contact information of witnesses who were at the scene of your accident. This may help your injury claim with successful compensation.
- Contact a Car Accident Attorney to File an Injury Claim: Our accident attorneys can help you with the nuances of your car accident claim by using our extensive experience to help you receive maximum compensation.
How Long Is Connecticut’s Statute of Limitations?
If you’re interested in filing a personal injury claim, it’s best to act as quickly as possible because each state has its own deadline to file a claim known as a statute of limitations. In Connecticut, personal injury lawsuits for injuries caused by negligence, malpractice, or misconductmust be filed within two years from the date of the injury.
This statute of limitations applies to all auto accidents and other injuries, including:
However, it’s sometimes impossible for victims to discover their injuries until weeks or even months after the accident. In these cases, the “discovery rule” applies, meaning that the statute of limitations can be extended from the date you discovered your injury. The discovery rule doesn’t apply to all cases, which is why it’s essential to hire a personal injury attorney to help you determine which deadline applies to your unique situation.
How Can A Car Accident Lawyer In New Haven Help You?
Having an experienced car accident lawyer by your side is extremely important for ensuring that you are provided with the support and guidance that you need during this stressful time. The repercussions of a car accident can be especially draining, financially, emotionally, and physically. Your car accident attorney has years of experience in helping numerous clients facing a similar struggle to you, and will be able to provide you with objective legal guidance and emotional support that can help to alleviate stress and boost your confidence.
Your car accident lawyer will be able to:
- Offer you emotional support: Having a reputable lawyer by your side who knows what he or she is doing can help to provide you with emotional support. Your lawyer will have experience in working with a vast variety of car accident cases and will be able to offer you the legal support that can provide you with the emotional reassurance that you need during this time
- Provide you with objective guidance: Your car accident lawyer will have valuable legal information that can tremendously help you and your case. He or she will be able to answer any questions that you have regarding the legal matters of your car accident and will help to prevent you from making costly mistakes.
- Handle the paperwork: There is typically an extensive amount of paperwork involved with car accidents, that can be especially tricky and complicated. Your attorney will be able to take care of all of the paperwork for you, and ensure that everything gets to where it's supposed to at the right time.
- Save you time and money: A single mistake in court or in filing the paperwork for your case can cost you both time and money. Your lawyer will be able to advise you and take care of the paperwork for you so that you don't have to worry about making possible mistakes that can prolong the process and cost you money.
- Effectively represent you in court: In case you need to go to court to resolve matters, your car accident attorney will be able to provide you with fierce legal representation. Your lawyer is essentially your strongest advocate.
- Maximize compensation: A car accident attorney will be able to ensure that you receive maximum compensation for your car accident claim. Without an attorney, you may be risking the maximum compensation amount that you are rightfully eligible for.
Experiencing a car accident can be extremely traumatic and draining. Don't handle a car accident case on your own. Let our car accident lawyers in New Haven help provide you with the legal support and guidance that you need to secure maximum compensation. Contact our car accident lawyers in New Haven today for a free consultation.
What If I Was Partially At-Fault For the Car Accident?
If you were partially at-fault, it's possible to still receive compensation for the damages. However, the total amount may be reduced due to partial fault. A car accident attorney in New Haven can help you understand your situation further following a free case consultation.
Is It Illegal to Text and Drive in Connecticut?
Yes, there are laws that clearly state that it's illegal to text and drive. If you've been in an accident where the other driver was texting and driving, contact us for a consult.
Contact Us For Results
Car accidents can be expensive to recover from. You may need surgery if you broke a bone or have to stay in the hospital for days or weeks to recover from your injuries, and even after you go home, you still may require medications or physical therapy. Additionally, you may also be facing thousands of dollars in car damage and not be prepared to pay for it, especially if you’ve had to miss work.
When you call our attorneys, we can begin strengthening your claim so you have an opportunity to be compensated for your pain and suffering. We can help you cover the costs of your damages so you have one less thing to worry about.
Start the healing process today – contact us online or call our car accident attorneys in New Haven so we can get started on your case at (203) 439-3143. We treat all our clients like they’re our only client.
What to Do After an Accident
If you’ve been injured in an accident, the most important thing to do is seek medical treatment. A medical professional can treat your wounds and prevent them from getting worse and can diagnose any health conditions that may not be apparent. Sometimes symptoms that people shrug off, like headaches, can be indicators of a more serious injury, like brain trauma.
After you’ve been treated, hire a personal injury attorney to get started on your case as soon as possible. Our attorneys can put our decades of experience to work for you by collecting evidence to strengthen your claim and increase your chances of winning your case. When we take over your case, you can focus on resting.
Call our New Haven attorneys at (203) 439-3652 to obtain the fullest compensation possible in your personal injury case. We strive to remain as accessible to our clients so we can answer your questions when you have them.
Excellent service and communication- Resa M.
Joe is a class act...- Allan M.
Attorney Ametrano took such a difficult case and fought hard for me- Client
He cares deeply about his work and his clients- Kevin W.