According to the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA), over 116,800 people sustain injuries in motor vehicle accidents on icy or snowy roads every year. Moreover, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) estimates that nearly 900 people die in accidents during snowfall or sleet. Even the most seasoned drivers may have trouble navigating during the winter season, so it is essential to exercise caution to avoid a serious accident.
Navigating Icy Roads During the Winter
The NHTSA estimates that about 70% of the United States population resides in snowy regions. During snowfall, a driver’s view can be greatly obstructed, resulting in a higher risk of collision.
To help prevent accidents this winter, we compiled a list of helpful safety tips:
- Do not warm up your motor vehicle in an enclosed area.
- Regularly test the battery in your vehicle.
- Check your tires to ensure they are properly inflated and have enough tread.
- Never use cruise control while navigating slippery surfaces.
- Keep some cold weather gear in your car, including a flashlight, glass scraper, warm clothes, blankets, and more.
- If it is snowing, do not go out unless it is absolutely necessary. Driving in snowy weather is dangerous, so if you can avoid it, that is the safest move.
- Drive slowly when driving on ice or snow. You should also accelerate and decelerate with ease. Keep in mind that it takes more time to reduce your speed on icy roads.
- Plan out your route and give yourself plenty of time to travel, so you do not end up feeling rushed.
- Increase distance between your vehicle and the one ahead of you.
- Make sure you know your car and what it is capable of, especially its brakes. The better you understand what your car can do, the safer your drive will be.
Preventative maintenance and safe driving are important every day of the year, but especially during the cold winter months. Get your car serviced and avoid driving in dangerous weather, if possible.
Schedule a Consultation with an Experienced Car Accident Attorney Today!
If you sustained injuries in an auto accident that was caused by a negligent driver, you may be feeling overwhelmed, especially if the medical bills are piling on. At Action Law Group, our experienced legal team is committed to providing knowledgeable and aggressive representation on behalf of every client we serve.
Call our law office today at (203) 439-3143 to schedule a consultation. You will not pay us any legal fees unless we win your case!