Every year, about a million people end up in the emergency room due to slip and fall accidents. Slip and fall accidents may sound minor, but some of the injuries people sustain can be debilitating or even fatal, depending on the circumstances surrounding the incident. Additionally, many of these accidents are preventable and occur as a result of negligence.
How Slip and Fall Accidents Happen
Some of the most common injuries caused by slip and fall accidents include hip fractures, shoulder injuries, traumatic brain injuries, spinal cord injuries, and sprains and fractures. If you sustained an injury in a slip and fall accident on someone else’s property as a result of poor maintenance or negligence, you can file a premises liability claim to obtain the compensation you deserve.
Below is a list of the most common causes of slip and fall accidents:
- Uneven or wet surfaces: Almost 55% of all slip and fall accidents are caused by hazardous surfaces, including loose floorboards, defective sidewalks, loose mats, torn carpeting, recently mopped floors, and cluttered floors. Ultimately, good housekeeping is essential for preventing these accidents.
- Improper training: One of the most common places where slip and fall accidents occur is in the workplace, especially in the construction industry. Oftentimes, this is the result of improper training. To avoid these accidents, employees in high-risk industries should be properly trained and given all the necessary equipment to perform their job safely.
- Weather conditions: Obviously, it is impossible to control the weather, but that does not mean proper safety procedures cannot be implemented to prevent accidents and injuries. For example, municipalities and property owners have a legal responsibility to plow streets, shovel sidewalks, and salt walkways and steps.
- Stray electrical wires and cords: When cords and electrical wires are left exposed, anyone can potentially trip and fall, resulting in serious injuries.
- Broken or missing handrails: Handrails help people navigate staircases and other walkways. When they are missing or damaged, those that rely on them can suffer a terrible accident.
Contact an Experienced Slip and Fall Attorney to Discuss Your Case Today!
If you were injured in a slip and fall accident, you may have a viable premises liability claim. At Action Law Group, our team of attorneys will work tirelessly on your behalf to obtain compensation, so you can get back on your feet.